Why I Am A Republican


I’ve noticed that today, with the uprising in new additions to politics (welcome), that there is quite a stigma associated with being considered “partisan.” Anyone who is considered a hard-line “republican” or “democrat” is immediately considered some brain-dead kool-aid drinker, especially when you agree with others in your chosen political party.

::shudder::

Part of this phenomenon has been generated by Glenn Beck. He constantly attacks being part of the political “system”. His argument has its merits.

Many people associate the Christian social movement to the Republican Party. If you look at the history of the Republican Party, it is the other way around. In the 80s, the Republican Party bought into the conservative Christian social movement. Christians have been here holding these views all along.

So, why am I a Republican? Why do I associate myself with a party and not just say, “Well, I vote on the Bible”? Below is my explanation.

God gave us this freedom and this government, and it is our stewardship to Him to keep it. It is our stewardship to Christ to be actively involved in our governmental process and our governmental process involves political activities including, but not limited to, passing out fliers, standing on a street corner holding a sign in support of a candidate, making phone calls and other small and - from an outsider looking in -meaningless political endeavors. I’m all about voting convictions over any type of party line; I just don’t think there is one political policy that the Democrat Party has that matches my convictions on a theological level. And if they do have it, then they share it with the Republican Party. That’s why I am unabashedly and unashamedly a member of the Republican Party. Do they get things wrong? Heck yeah! Do they have corruption? You bet! But they are more in line with my views based on my scriptural convictions than any other political affiliation and I won’t ignore that fact just because it makes me “partisan”. I applaud my friends who are “man” enough to say “yeah, I hold to the principals and convictions laid out in the Democrat Party platform.” Good for you. I applaud their intellectual honesty and treasure their views and opinions.

I’m not saying everyone can fit in one of two parties, I’m just saying that I can. It has been a calculated and researched decision and I will not apologize for identifying myself with a group that generally shares my political views.

Don’t fear being placed in a stereotype, people.

Treat that fear like any other irrational fear.

Challenge it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment